Moffitt volunteers are all ages and from all walks of life. Many have been touched in some way by cancer and have joined our team to simply "give back" or to help make a difference in the lives of others. One of the many benefits of volunteering at Moffitt is the satisfaction of knowing that you will be contributing to something very important to the whole community and world! No matter the area you serve in as a volunteer, you are contributing to the Moffitt Mission “to contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer”. Moffitt Cancer Center values its volunteers and the compassionate and conscientious service they provide for patients, visitors and staff. As a volunteer, you will have the opportunity to work beside our faculty, staff and team members to ensure our patients receive the best of care.
The Volunteer Mission is "to make a difference through compassionate care and service." In order to provide the best service to our patients, families and staff, we need dependable and compassionate volunteers. The quality of our program depends on your reliability.
Volunteer Program Classification at Moffitt
Adult Program – 18 years or older who is not currently enrolled in a post high school training program, college or university.
Student Program – 18 years or older who is currently enrolled in an accredited training program, college or university.
Summer Teen Program – To be eligible to apply, students must have completed the ninth grade by June 4, 2018 and be at least 14-17 years of age. The online application opens on February 1, 2018 and closes when full.
Service Area Opportunities
Placement is based on application submission order, preference, and availability. Our goal is to meet the needs of the center and at the same time, ensure that each volunteer’s time is well utilized and that you enjoy your volunteer assignment. Below are examples of our service areas:
- Digital Sherpa – Volunteers are paired with inpatient/outpatient cancer patients (climbers) and caregivers to show how to better and more effectively use Moffitt Cancer Center’s Get Well Network and Patient Portal. Sherpas will also teach climbers how to connect with other patients, learn more about their disease and become self-advocates.
- Retail – Greet and assist customers, provide general customer assistance, price and stock inventory, operate cash register, answer phones, ensure a clean and neat atmosphere of area.
- Clerical – Assist with various administrative procedures such as, data entry, scanning, inventory management, filing, copies, etc.
- Guest Relations – Greet patients, guests and visitors, assist with wheelchair transport, provide information and navigation for the cancer center, run errands and support staff in enhancing the patient experience at Moffitt.
- Waiting Rooms - Warmly greet and orient patients and guests to the lobby area and available amenities. Assist with patient questions and direct to appropriate clinic staff when needed, communicate with the staff to assist with patient flow as well as maintain a clean and neat atmosphere in the waiting room area.
- Clinic Support – Escort patient to exam area, offer comfort items as directed by staff, assist with stocking and maintaining inventory, assist with preparation for each patient in exam areas, provide wheelchair transport if needed and support staff as directed.
- Arts in Medicine – Open Studio volunteers assist staff in providing unique expressive arts services to patients, family, and staff, by assisting in regularly scheduled Open Art Studio events interacting with patients or offering general administrative assistance and materials maintenance.
Musician/Vocalist - Provide musical entertainment for patients, guests and staff in various areas of the center.
- Pet Therapy – Certified pet therapy dogs offer visitation with patients, guests and staff in the center providing comfort, stress relief and joy. Pet therapy dog owners must be Moffitt volunteers and pet therapy dogs must be certified through a recognized pet therapy organization and have a current health certificate.
- Patient and Family Advisory Program – Peer Visitors, with specialized training and support, visit and relate with other patients and family members and share experiences related to the cancer journey.
Patient or Family Advisor, partner with other advisors, health care providers and staff to raise issues, communicate patient and family concerns and help with problem-solving, with the goal of improving the patient experience and our services. When patient and family advisors work together with Moffitt staff, faculty and administrators, the health care experience can be improved for everyone.
Placement is based on application submission order, preference, and availability. Our goal is to meet the needs of the cancer center and at the same time, ensure that each volunteer’s time is well utilized and that you enjoy your volunteer assignment.
Current volunteers - Electronic Schedule Change Form
Moffitt Cancer Center (Magnolia - USF campus)
12902 Magnolia Drive
Tampa, FL 33612
Moffitt International Plaza (South Tampa)
4101 Jim Walter Blvd.
Tampa, FL 33607
Moffitt McKinley Outpatient Center
10920 N. McKinley Drive
Tampa, FL 33612
Together we can change lives today.
We’re all in this fight together, and we’d be honored to have your help. Getting started is easy and the rewards are endless. Help us get closer to a cure.
Please call 1-800-456-3434, ext. 1403, or email us at FoundationInfo@Moffitt.org, if you wish to have your name removed from the list to receive fundraising requests to support Moffitt Cancer Center in the future. Upon receiving your request, we will use all reasonable efforts to remove you from future mailings. Florida is the official place of business for the Moffitt Cancer Center Foundation. A copy of the official registration and financial information may be obtained from the Division of Consumer Services by calling 1-800-435-7352 toll-free within the state or online at www.800helpfla.com. Registration does not imply endorsement, approval or recommendation by the state. Florida Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services registration number CH-4675. No percentage of contributions is retained by a professional solicitor; Moffitt Cancer Center Foundation receives 100% of all donations. Your gift is tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law.